Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nurtureshock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman


This is another book that has changed the way I do things. In the first part (I forget if it's the first chapter or the introduction) we learn that the two reporters who wrote this are parents themselves; bewildered (as who isn't?) by the many, contrary pieces of parenting advice out there, they decided to spend some time finding out what the research out there really says. This book is the result.
Bedtime, praise, racism, lying, social success; ten chapters of well-written science--I don't think there was one I didn't learn something - and something valuable - from.
Probably read-aloud-able; certainly for adults (interesting and informative, but maybe not the most interesting subjects for children - then again, maybe very interesting for children). A book I think every future (or current) parent should read.

No comments:

Post a Comment