Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Book of Mormon


I was thinking to start in on some books which have significantly changed my life for the better - and then I realized that I was about to ignore the longest-standing of books in that category, which for me would be the Book of Mormon.
My mother read the Book of Mormon when she was 18 or so, and over the course of a year discovered the positive effect it's teachings had in her life. She was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints when she was 19. When she was 21, she met and married my dad.
So the influence of this book in my life started a long time ago. Because of it, I was taught from an early age to be kind, to be generous, to try to do good with the resources I have. That I am not here for my own pleasure, but for the eternal good of myself and those I come in contact with. That is a remarkable difference in attitude, and makes a great deal of difference in how I live.
Don't get me wrong - nobody (that I know) lives up to those ideals perfectly. But this book has another gift - and I will quote it here: "if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you." So it clarifies the truth found in the bible - that God will speak to his children, will not leave them directionless - and in doing so helps us to access that much more power to make the changes we all need to make in our lives.
It testifies of Christ with such clarity that I understand, in a way that is not always clear to me from the Bible, who he is and why I should want to be like him. And it gives simple, powerful ways to change my life to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment