Friday, October 14, 2011

The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen


I acquired this book shortly after my marriage, a number of years ago, and used it frequently (to the point that my copy has now completely fallen apart - one of the hazards of actually using cookbooks). I had been using it for at least a year and a half before I realized - there's no meat in any of the recipes. Which means it was especially useful for a couple of starving students, just starting out, who loved to have people over to dinner and send them away feeling fed. -- Because, meat or no, the recipes in this book will leave you feeling well fed; also, they lend themselves very well to an attractive visual presentation (always nice, especially for entertaining).
The other surprising thing about this cookbook (well, maybe I'm the only person to be surprised by it's vegetarian nature) is that it's readable -- by which I mean, you can leaf through, enjoying the commentary and instructions for each dish, and find yourself just reading them for the pleasant, chatty style of it. Like discussing good food with a good friend, it's a happy pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment