Saturday, March 13, 2021

The Schmutzy Family, by Madelyn Rosenburg

 After I read it to two neeflings, plotted to read it to two more, and put it on my own to-buy list, I decided that it was probably time to review this book.

The Schmutzy family (from a Yiddish word meaning "dirty") has no concern at all about getting their clothing, house, and selves dirty five and a half days a week. Mom says nothing about most of the messes and even helps stop up the sink when it's time to start a frog habitat. On Friday around midmorning, however, she calls a halt to all that and they clean up for Shabbat. Utterly charming, delightful, and most of all AMAZING at helping kids learn that keeping a few rules doesn't have to make you boring or mean. Reading it even helped me be a little more cheerful about my own Saturday-afternoon cleanup efforts.



No comments:

Post a Comment